That’s my resolution for July: Take a nap.
Well, not really, but my resolutions are sort of on par with that: I’m making July a month dedicated to self-care.
The last few months have been particularly exhausting for me, in all senses of the word: physically, mentally, and emotionally. I went from finding out I was pregnant for the first time and having all the craziness a first trimester has to offer, to having a miscarriage, all while writing a book under a looming deadline.
I’m feeling pretty empty right now. I need to refuel my body and soul.
Work is important, life goes on and I have a career to keep up with and I’m very lucky because my publisher is giving me a little extra time to make my next book the best it can be–and so I’m not going to spend the whole month in the spa, my goals for this month are to work hard, but relax hard as well.
So, this month I resolve to:
- Get my hair done once a week. Blow-out only salons are like Starbucks in New York, there’s one on every corner. It’s a treat, but one that makes me feel good about myself for the next few days and is worth the money when I’ve spent the last few weeks in food-crusted pajamas.
- Plan things like manicures and massages. I’m not made of money, I can’t do these all the time, but I think this month is deserving of a little more pampering than usual.
- Work without distraction, but at the end of the day put my computer away and enjoy time with my husband and dog and maybe get to bed at a reasonable hour (I’ve been dealing with a bit of stress-induced insomnia which has kept me up writing until 4am.)
- Read a book, maybe two or three or for. Ones I’m not in the process of writing.
- Plan my meals (so they’re easy and healthy) and exercise gently. This isn’t about losing weight, it’s about getting back to some semblance of equilibrium with a very tired and battered body.
I plan on making this the month of self-care and blogging about it. Sharing the things I do each day to make myself feel taken care of .
Do you want to join my challenge and make July your month of loving yourself, too?
What are your goals for July?