Back in the day, when I was shooting The Daily Special, I shot a Cooking with Kim episode making this soup. I’ve made some minor changes over the years, but this soup remains one of my kitchen staples.
Tuscan Kale & White Bean Soup (vegan option)
Slurp your vegetables with this protein packed soup.
Write a review
- 1 medium onion
- 2 carrots, pealed and cut into rings
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 15 oz. can diced tomatoes (or fresh diced tomatoes if you have the time and fresh produce)
- 15 oz. can white beans, drained and rinsed
- 6 cups of kale, chopped
- 4-5 cups filtered water and vegetable bouillon (or pre-made vegetable broth)
- 4 vegan sausages, sliced into 1/2 inch rings (or chicken sausage, if you choose to use a meat variety sautee the sausage with the onions to brown, skip step for adding vegan sausage to broth)
- 1 Tbsp Italian seasoning
- Tbsp olive oil
- Crushed red pepper, black pepper, and salt to taste
- Start by sauteeing onion and garlic in olive oil. Once onions are soft, add a bit of water and add kale to pot. Cover with lid and allow kale to wilt.
- Once kale has become soft, add diced tomatoes and water/bouillon/broth. If using vegan sausage, add sausage to broth, add beans and seasoning and bring to a simmer.
- Once pot is simmering, turn burner to low, cover, and allow to cook for 20 minutes, or until spices have been incorporated.
- Serve with crusty bread and a glass of crisp white wine...or not, if you actually want to keep it healthy.
The Kim Challenge http://thekimchallenge.com/