The first thing I did when I woke up at 4:30am yesterday was curse the fact that I am unequivocally a morning person. When the sun comes up (and sometimes before it dares to), I get up. No alarm clock necessary. The second thing I did was put on my heart rate monitor as I prepared for a busy day of moving!



Okay, maybe a little. But let me tell you, lugging all your stuff up three flights of stairs is quite the workout 😉

I started the day off with a whole wheat everything bagel with light cream cheese and coffee.
Bagel shops are the only places in walking distance that were open at 5am. Also, that bottle of Sprite Zero was filled with water. I’ve been using it for days, ever since I packed the glasses. Ah, moving!

After I finished carbing up, I finished packing up the stragglers that needed packing and waited patiently for my friends to arrive. Since the sun was barely up, I had quite a bit of waiting to do.

And that’s why Pinterest was created. Pretty, pretty time waster.

Around 9am The Fella and I met up with our friends Chris and Francesca, who were kind enough to volunteer their manual laboring services, and get ourselves a U-Haul.

I was amazed at how easy the move was. I was really afraid I’d have too much stuff and everyone would hate me for asking them to help lug it around (I even hired someone to help with the heavy loading—which The Fella will never stop making me fun of for, because I paid him for 2-hours and we were done unpacking and lugging upstairs in a half hour.

I said good-bye to my home of nine years, and hello to co-habiting

(The blurry lass in the photo is Francesca. She’s now considering a career as a freelance mover)

I’ll be spending the rest of today unpacking this mound of boxes, so The Fella and I can get down to getting cozy in our new home.

So what were those heart rate monitor results?

By the end of the day of moving I’d burned almost 3000 calories. But that burn consisted of normal daily activities too. Based on the calorie count during prime moving hours, the burn was about 1100. Not a bad form of exercise, but I think I’ll stick with spin class in the future.


After all was said and done I treated everyone to lunch. Well, except for the guy I hired to help–that would have been awkward.

I started with a salad with lettuce, tomato, carrot, cucumber, roasted peppers, goat cheese, artichoke hearts, heart of palm, chick peas and beets

Egg white omelet with spinach, mushrooms, and onion
Fruit Salad

And because no moving day ever goes off without a hitch, around 8pm our lights went out. No electricity. Our super is on vacation so we’re still trying to figure out what to do about that, but we used it as an excuse to go out for dinner at one of our favorite Indian restaurants.


This particular restaurant focuses on the Ayurveda principle. There are no menus, they just bring you what they cooked that day. The restaurant is vegetarian and they use very little oil in their cooking, so the food is generally low in fat.


I woke up this morning (at 5:45am, because, you know, I slept in) a Manhattanite!