The air is crisp, the leaves are falling, and I’m spending my day writing about some emotionally harrowing stuff. I think this calls for comfort food.
My favorite meal of the day is breakfast, but that doesn’t mean that omelets, waffles, and pancakes need be pigeon-holed to the wee hours of the morning. Today I made pancakes for dinner. But not just any ole pancakes, I made Jamie Eason’s Pumpkin Spice Pancakes.
Jamie Eason is a fitness model and writer that used to contribute regularly to Oxygen, but is now one of the spokeswomen of Bodybuilding.com. I follow her on Facebook because she’s really great when it comes answering fitness related questions. She also posts a bunch of her recipes for homemade protein bars, and healthy versions of classic favorites. I had a can of pumpkin in my pantry and I figured I’d give these a shot. I’m glad I did. They don’t even taste healthy!
The recipe says it makes 10-1/4 cup of batter pancakes. I got twelve out of the recipe. Since I’m not looking to binge on pancakes tonight, I’m wrapping the leftovers up in Ziploc bags in sets of two, and voilà: instant breakfast for those days that I don’t feel like cooking.
Here’s the recipe from BodyBuilding.com:
Pumpkin Spice Pancakes
Fat: 1.3 grams
Carbs: 9.5 grams
Protein: 3.5 grams
Sugar: 0 grams
- 1 1/2 cups oat flour
- 2 tbsp Splenda, Truvia, or Ideal
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 tbsp cinnamon (honestly, I think it’s too much cinnamon. I would cut the cinnamon in half in the future)
- 1/4 tsp allspice
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg
- 4 egg whites
- 1/2 cup raw pumpkin
- 1 1/2 cups unsweetened Almond Breeze
- Preheat griddle to medium heat.
- Mix oat flour, Splenda, Truvia, or Ideal, baking powder, salt, cinnamon, allspice and nutmeg in a bowl.
- Wisk egg whites and pumpkin. Mix in Almond Breeze.
- Add wet ingredients to dry ingredients and mix together.
- Spray griddle with non-stick butter spray.
- Scoop batter with a 1/4 cup measuring cup onto griddle. Cook 3-5 minutes on a side.
Makes 10 pancakes.
Egg white omelet with asparagus and lite cheese
Grilled (albeit somewhat mangled) tilapia
Chocolate whey protein with almond milk
Pumpkin spice pancakes with maple syrup
Exercise: No exercise, writing, writing, writing.