Health nuts are going to feel stupid someday, lying in hospitals dying of nothing.
I learned something today: You’re never supposed to put citrus fruit in the refrigerator. Apparently it ruins the consistency and makes it pulpier. How have I gotten this far in life, and eaten this much mediocre citrus fruit, without learning the rules of proper produce storage?
Other happy discoveries of the day:
- Coffee Bean & Tea Leaf now exist in NYC! They were a favorite of mine when I lived on the left coast.
- I’m back down to my lowest adult weight. Technically I was planning on maintaining my weight a few pounds ago, but I think the stress of the last week caused an uptick in my weight loss. I’m not complaining.
- I have amazing friends that will head into NYC at 9pm after a 12-hour work day, for the sole purpose of cheering me up.
- Cold butternut squash in a salad is AMAZING.
- Kabocha squash, roasted and mashed tastes a lot like mashed sweet potatoes only with a fraction of the calories and fewer carbohydrates
- My parents bought a condo!
Okay, the last one is really big news. My parents have been trying to buy a new condo for over a year, and last week were told that the sale they’ve been waiting for had fallen through and they’d lost thousands and thousands of dollars and my mother shed quite a few tears, on a home that would never be theirs. Then, out of nowhere, the condo was theirs. They closed today. My parents have a new house. I’m looking forward to helping them decorate and spending the holidays in their new home.
If you haven’t noticed I’ve been in a pretty melancholy mood for the last week or so and I definitely needed a little good news in my life. It was that good news early in the day that reminded me of an old trick I did back when I was feeling particularly sad: I took note of everything, no matter how small, that made me happy. I’ve decided to reinstate that old practice until I’m feeling like my old self, hence the list above. Honestly, just seeing a bulleted list of things that are worth smiling over makes everything seem a little more manageable.
How do you cheer yourself up when you’re feeling down?
Multi grain tortilla with egg whites and salsa
Whey protein with almond milk x2 (one in the morning, one in the afternoon)
Salad with lettuce, tomato, chick peas, butternut squash, carrot and orange vinaigrette
A long lost friend (lost meaning he lives and works in New Jersey) found his way into New York tonight so that we could catch up over caffeine.
Four shot latte with skim milk—I’m still tired. Damn my caffeine resistance!
Baked tofu, mashed kabocha squash, and steamed zucchini
Exercise: AM: 45-min strength training session; PM: 45-min spin class